Commonly known as an amino acid (Protein component) as it acts like one but, actually it isn’t it is made up of two amino acids.
There are various types of Carnitine but the most common types are L-Carnite and acetyl-L-Carnitine
Carnitine is found in high doses in animal meat especially red meat and has many functions in the human body.
L-CARNITINE is best known for is ability for using fat a as an energy source buy transferring fat to cells to be oxidised into energy
This process is very complex and involves huge chunks of enzymes and quite a few steps before the fat can be utilized by the mitochondria (your body’s power and energy factories).
It’s this shuttle system that has made Carnitine famous for being the “FAT BURNER”
There are suggestions that Carnitine is more beneficial for men and can greatly improve fertility
BUT…it’s a typical made up equation that the supplement/nutrition industry derive when a buck is to be made!!
There is actually no evidence to suggest that L-Carnitine is an effective fat burner and lots of tests have found it disappointing!
There is one theory, users with lower levels of carnitine in their systems have found good results in supplementing with it…
ACETYL-L-Carnitine is a more successfully researched compound and has had positive tests to suggest that it can great improve cognitive behaviour and memory and concentration…
The dosage is key when using L-Carnitine and I would recommend a min of 5g per day if it is to have a decent effect.
Carnitine does have other benefits and has been known to improve recovery and potentially protect muscle growth but as a fat burner it’s as what I have read “potentially an expensive experiment”
Below are some of the health benefits associated with Carnitine.
Health Benefits of L-Carnitine
- Increases strength and endurance
- Relieves physical and mental fatigue
- Promotes and maintains new development of muscle mass
- Reduces muscle injuries and sore muscles
- Accelerates regeneration
- Increases cardiac output
- Lowers the heart rate under stress
- Reduces the intensity of cardiac infarction
- Reduces symptoms of heart failure, angina pectoris
Recovery from Surgeries
Experts recommend L-Carnitine for surgeries that may be accompanied by blood loss because it promotes formation of red blood cells and strengthens your immune system, aiding recovery.
- Supplies energy to immune cells
- Increases activity of immune cells under stress
- Doesn’t strain the immune system
- Slows aging of brain, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease
- Improves cognitive abilities like concentration, memory, and ability to learn
- Accelerates renewal of tissue
- Improves liver function
- Reduces problems of fatty liver
- Accelerates renewal of liver tissue
- Improves activity of sperm
- Enlarges amount and number of sperm
- Increases fertility of sperm
Research is key to any form of supplementation and it is advisable to do your homework and read from trusted sources (google doesn’t count) as if you believe everything that is on the side of the tub then we would all be superhuman and I would be out of a job.
Good places to grab some if you want to try it.
Monster Supplements or My Protein